You are viewing zellion

Millie's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014
7:28 pm - 36 weeks and ugh

I feel like complete and total crap, but at least the baby is still doing his normal amount of turns kicks and wiggles, so I have to assume it's just me.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014
9:10 pm - Baby hulk

It is very hard to say with 5 years distance, but I am fairly sure that this baby moves with more oomph than TC ever did. Not sure about more frequently, because I do remember TC moving around almost constantly, but I don't remember feeling like he was going to rupture something in his enthusiasm.

I have unofficially officially nicknamed this baby Jiro, because I even though he will not be known by his initials, he should have a solid nickname, and then I got it into my head that he should have a Japanese nickname. And Jiro unimaginatively means "second son" in Japanese.

(comment on this)

Friday, May 23rd, 2014
8:39 am - Almost there

Two more weeks of kid's school before I can stop getting up at the ungodly hour of 7:45. I cannot freaking wait. I relish the idea that the last six weeks of this pregnancy I will not have to torture my body with this ridiculous sleep schedule. Now when he starts up kindergarten at the end of August, all bets are off. Been kind of freaking out about how we're going to make this work, but it's too late to change plans now! And also I know that in a year or so when I have a routine and I no longer have another life form sucking out all my energy from the inside out (just from the outside, haha) I will feel more up to the task.

I have no idea how people have four or five kids.

(comment on this)

Saturday, March 8th, 2014
1:34 am - About ultrasound photography

The most interesting thing I learned on Wikipedia about ultrasounds is that the 3d ultrasound was invented in 1987 by a couple of university researchers (I want to say Duke University, but too lazy to look it up,) and the "4d ultrasound " phenomenon didn't occur until much more recently because it had to wait for computer processors to get fast enough to render those 3d images basically in real time. Which I find pretty cool.

Since we're going with the midwives again (and after being charged $185 for my brief ultrasound at 10 in the doctor's office,) we decided to once again take advantage of the free market and go to one of those, I don't know what you call them? Vanity ultrasound places? The kind that specialize in 3d and 4d and you get a DVD of the session, and you can get a recording of the baby's heartbeat and have it in a little teddy bear to listen to and all kinds of stuff.

This is just one of the things that makes me feel like a freak in comparison to what I perceive other people to be like. I find ultrasound technology to be scientifically fascinating but all babies, even mine, just look weird and creepy on an ultrasound.

I'm there for two reasons- 1.) find out the sex of the fetus and 2.) make sure the anatomy is looking ok.

The boy was kind enough to not only let us get a view of the relevant penis/scrotum combo, but to flip over several times, flash both hands and feet and give us a great shot of his back. I love the shot of his back. Everything else just looks creepy. The ultrasound tech kept gushing about how we should come back again later when he's chunked up a bit in another 8 weeks and get some cute face shots. And I'm like, do people actually do that? The Wikipedia article talked about studies that show ultrasound pictures increase maternal bonding, and that I guess makes sense but still; weird.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014
11:47 am - 19 weeks- brothers

Got our ultrasound- it's a boy. Of course I have zero boy names picked out.! But I'm excited.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, February 6th, 2014
6:11 pm - posted so I can find it later
"The 'ideal woman', who wakes up looking like an underwear model, who is satisfied with her role as housewife and helpmeet but remains passionate enough to hold a man’s interest, who looks 'bangable' but never actually bangs, because that would make her a slut, is almost entirely fictional. She exists mainly as a standard against which every real women can be held and found wanting"


http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2014/01/why-patriarchy-fears-scissors-women-short-hair-political-statement

(2 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, January 30th, 2014
1:03 pm

Got the Christmas tree down today, so I must be feeling better (thank goodness.) made it before February at least!

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014
10:19 am - Sleep

It was 1 degree outside when the alarm went off this morning. TC normally the chipper, jump out of bed type, declared he wanted to stay in bed. So I made an executive decision and called us off and we stayed the heck in bed.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014
10:48 am - Since everyone is asking

I hope it's another boy, but I'm terrified it's probably a girl.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014
8:43 am - 12 weeks

Still pregnant. Still vomiting intermittently. Still sleeping like it's going out of style. Baby apparently believes we can survive on cottage cheese and potato chips, and I have gotten too tired of throwing up to argue. Thank heavens for vitamins.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Friday, August 2nd, 2013
2:24 pm - We hates it, precious

My ear started feeling funny on Sunday. By Monday I was sure it was an ear infection but it was just annoying. I figured it would either get better or it wouldn't. Was hoping it would because I hate antibiotics. And trips to the doctor, and serious illness in general. Alas. The gods of the immune system were not smiling on me. Woke up today feeling worse than ever and knowing I wasn't going to survive a 10 hour day at work in the kind of pain I was in. Mom took TC to daycare and I went to the Little Clinic. Now I have to say that as social inventions go, the in-pharmacy clinic is pretty much the best idea ever. I've been there twice now and it's been a great experience both times. Today it got in to see the doctor (well, nurse practitioner but come on, like we lay-people care,) in 10 minutes, got my antibiotics from the pharmacy and was out of the store in 45 minutes total.

And the people there are always really nice and respectful and not all condescending like a lot of doctors I've seen...

Anyway now I am home and have taken my oral antibiotics and my ear drops and am curled up in bed with Netflix wishing I didn't feel like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag.

(comment on this)

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013
1:28 pm - Chocolate ganache cheesecake
So there's this chinese restaurant on 161 that we went to because they have awesome Fu dog statues outside and in addition to excellent food they had this chocolate cake that was so amazing I will go back just for that.

Since I haven't been back yet, I was trying to find something similar that I could make. I'm a fair hand in the kitchen, right? If I have a recipe I could duplicate it.

Well so far no dice, but I did find this - http://www.chow.com/recipes/14104-chocolate-ganache-tart

I made it, it was meh. Much too rich to eat on it's own. almost half of it got thrown away which is a damn shame. I had never done a ganache before, though, and it's not hard.

So this week I retooled the recipe - I made half the ganache as describe in the link above, then mixed in 8 oz of cream cheese, and put it in a chocolate graham cracker crust. T.C. and I shared a piece last night, it was ok but still missing something. Today I ate a piece topped with cool whip and fresh raspberries.

OMG AMAZING.

---------------


4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick), cut into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1.5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
8 oz cream cheese, softened (I find using the "whipped" containers makes blending smoothly FAR easier.)

1) Place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl; set aside.

2) Combine cream, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is just at a simmer, about 4 minutes.

3) Pour cream mixture over chocolate and butter and let sit until melted, about 4 minutes. Gently stir until smooth. Once mixture is fully smooth beat in 8 oz of softened cream cheese.

Pour into chocolate graham cracker crust and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until set, about 2 hours.

Top with cool whip and raspberries.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, April 21st, 2013
11:58 pm - raspberry and cream layer cake
http://www.simplehealthytasty.com/2012/12/raspberry-and-cream-chocolate-layer-cake.html

Posted so I can find it later.

(comment on this)

Friday, February 8th, 2013
1:26 am


Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(comment on this)

1:25 am

TC quote of the day. We're at Home Depot. I look down and he's kneeling on he floor. "What are you doing on the floor?" "I'm transforming into a car."

Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012
9:43 am - One thing leads to another

And now I am sick. I would curse whoever went out in public Friday to red Lobster who infected me with your stupid germs, but I'm too dizzy and loopy to curse you properly. As long as this doesn't turn into bronchitis like in March; I can cope with the normal 7-10 day bug. I assume I can, anyway. Not like I have much choice. Will have to venture out soon for some more miso however.

The good news is the shop say that JT's car is definitely the starter. Even though we replaced it 2 months ago, so it's under warranty. Best news I heard all day yesterday, "under warranty, shouldn't cost you anything." Which is great now we can sell it and get JT into something that doesn't play these games with us.

Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(comment on this)

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012
3:51 pm - Kitten update

So for those of you not in on the Facebook pics, kitten is doing well. I scooped her into a basket on top of the kitchen scale this week, she weighs 2.5 lbs, and has become extremely friendly. She also wants to be an indoor cat, which I'd get behind except for the fact that my husband is very allergic to cats. I let her in the house to feed her, and we play with her, and I put aside one blanket for 'cat'. A small afghan, of course. I've yet to meet a cat that didn't like treading/kneading on an afghan. She's totally into the lap time and we showed her how fun sitting on a windowsill can be. And TC chases her around, in a good natured "I'm 3 and full of energy and I want to play with you!" kind of way. Since there's apparently no rush I'm trying to see if I can get some weight on her before she goes to the vet. She's extra skinny right now, but I have no idea how much she *should* weigh, just that her ribs shouldn't be quite so prominent when I pet her. We've gone with "Pixie" as her name.

Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(comment on this)

Monday, July 16th, 2012
12:33 am - There's a scent marker on my door reading "sucker."

So, once upon a time we had a stray mama cat who liked to nest in our back yard and under our shed. End of May we found she had a litter of kittens, I would guess they were at least 4 weeks old at that time. 4 kittens total: two long-hair grey tigers, a short-hair grey tiger with a crippled tail and the runt, a short-haired black with white socks.

All was well, mama cat took good care of her kittens, and yelled at me for food when she was hungry. And because I'm a softie I tried to gentle the kittens and made sure they had clean water and regular food.

Until this week. I haven't seen mama cat or kittens 2, 3, & 4 for almost a week now. One of the long-hair greys apparently was left behind (wherever they went) and I get the impression she is very scared and lonely. She's been hanging out in my garage and mewing at he door a lot. I go out, give her food and water, she's even let me pet her he last two days. Wouldn't let me touch her before, I honestly think she is just so LONELY. TC, my sweet boy feels bad for her too, tells her not to cry and that she'll be ok.

I wouldn't worry about the mom because she's disappeared and come back before- she's a stray, she gets around- but why take 3 kittens and leave one? And not even the runt? She's always been a super-attentive mama.

So I guess we've got a kitten. Which means I need to think of a name and find and extra $100 in the budget somewhere (haha!) to get her fixed and vaccinated. SOS Columbus is super close to me so I may try to call them this week. I bet mom will let me borrow a cat carrier, and we can't keep her in the house anyway because of JT's allergies so I'll have to come up with a warm nest in the winter...

Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(9 comments | comment on this)

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012
11:01 am - mood swing
Tomatoes! I'm going to have tomatoes! My giant, stubborn heirlooms are finally starting to blush pink and red, I was afraid they were never going to ripen. I'm going to get lovely ripe juicy sweet tomatoes!

(comment on this)

Sunday, July 1st, 2012
6:57 am - Nightmare

So you know how dark Ten got at the end there, Waters of Mars levels of dark and 'I'm alone and nothing I do matters.' Yeah so throw Data in there, but a few thousand years down the line. The Federation has been basically destroyed by wars with the Borg and the Dominion, and pretty much everything Data has ever known and loved is dead. So he runs into The Doctor and the travel around together for a few centuries until they have a falling out over something or other, and The Doctor buggers off on his own leaving Data with a TARDIS that barely wants to work for him because he's not the Doctor. Data has had another go at building a daughter to try and keep him sane, and figured out a way for her to age really really slowly, so while she was subjectively 10 or so when the Doctor took off, she's now the equivalent of 17 or so and fights with Data all the time. (Cross Ace with Claudia from Warehouse 13.) The Doctor showed back up at the end there and the TARDIS woke back up for him, but things were pretty grim.

But Megan, you say, this dream sounds wicked cool, how could this be a nightmare. Fuck if I know. I just know I woke up terrified that the universe was going to fall apart while I watched, helpless to stop it, that nothing I did mattered, and that the TARDIS was falling apart too.

Posted via LiveJournal app for iPhone.

(comment on this)


> previous 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com